The Pointers in our care need loving homes. Could you provide one? Here’s our simple guide to how rehoming works at Pointers in Need.
Rehoming – step by step
1. Find a Pointer that you’d like to adopt. Please take the time to find out all you can about the breed and how best to support a rescued Pointer.
2. Complete our pre-adoption form and send it to us. We’ll ask you to tell us about yourself, your home, your lifestyle, and your experience with dogs. If the fit seems right, that’s when you reserve your Pointer.
3. One of our experienced home checkers will make an appointment to visit you in your home. It’s a friendly process, but it’s thorough too. It’s also a good opportunity to ask lots of questions.
4. If the homecheck is successful, we will keep in regular contact and, as soon as possible, confirm transport details. At this stage we send you the adoption paperwork to check, sign and return to us.
5. Arrival day! We will agree a day and time for you to collect your Pointer from the foster carer. If your Pointer is arriving from Europe he/she will be transported to your door. For dogs entering the UK from non EU countries, a different process may apply. We will discuss this with you.
Our role doesn’t end when your Pointer arrives. In the coming weeks, we follow up with you to see how things are going. We are always on hand to have a chat, answer any questions, and provide support if you need it.
We really like to keep in touch. And if you have a moment to update us and send in pictures of you and your new best friend, we’d be over the moon.
Poring over pictures of Happy Pointers in their new homes is the best part of the job!
Our adoption fee is £250.
This fee contributes toward the costs of rescuing and rehoming Pointers from outside the UK (typically the overall cost to us is between £400 – £700). If a Pointer needs extensive veterinary care and rehabilitation, the fees can run into several thousands of pounds. So, if you are in a position to give more we will gladly accept.
For Pointers based in the UK, a deposit of £50.00 will reserve your dog.
The balance of £200.00 is due when you collect your Pointer and begin your new lives together.
Dogs outside the UK
For dogs based in countries outside of the UK, a deposit of £175.00 will reserve your Pointer. This contributes to some of the upfront costs we incur in preparation to transport the dog to the Uk.
The remaining £75.00 fee is payable when your Pointer is delivered to you.
Please note reserve fees are refundable only in the event of an unsuccessful home check
You can download a copy of our adoption agreement for more details and our terms and conditions.
Helpful Breed information:
Here is some helpful information about the breed and some basic information about rescuing a beautiful Pointer – these are all PDF files:
Please contact us if you need any further help or require more information
Please take a look at the dogs we have available for adoption. If you’re ready to take the next steps, submit our pre-adoption form and we’ll be in touch very soon. We’re also on the look out for experienced hunting breed owners who can foster our Pointers while we search for their forever home. And finally, there’s also the little matter of donations …. thank you. x